Friday, August 5

Raksha Bandan

On the August full moon day of each year, the festival of Raksha Bandan is celebrated {this year it falls on the 13th}.
A particularly endearing and special festival where sisters tie a Rakhi thread bracelet to their brother's wrist reminding them of their special bond.
These pretty bracelets come in an array of colours and designs, that was enough for me to want to find out more...


{the band of thread is considered stronger than any iron chains, as it binds the relationship in an inseparable bond of love and trust}

The sisters tying of the beautiful, Rakhi thread bracelet to her brother's wrist is a token of her love and affection, in return the brother promises to always protect her. What a beautiful sentiment...

A promise is always special whether it be between a brother and sister, or to show care and affection to any family member or treasured friend. This lead me to think about how I could participate in this beautiful ceremony. Sometimes the bond of friendship, with a true friend, is like that of a sibling. And couldn't we all do with a bit of protection?


I don't have a brother, but I would like to stretch the meaning to be able to extend this lovely tradition to my family and friends. I hope the bracelet's appeal and symbolic meaning captivates you as it has me.